27 Mar 2013

UK vs THE WORLD (62)

UK vs. The world is a weekly meme I made up lol.
It's simlair to UK vs. US except the UK covers are battling it out with their foreign counterparts from all over the world, because who doesn't love judging books by their covers!

UK                          vs                 Germany
Birthright book one
(I couldn't find an exact translation for 'Bitterzart,' but I think it loosely means 'Bitter sweet.'

Mist: I don't like the German cover at all, it looks like an old food label or something, not a book cover lol It's totally dated and other than telling me the book is set in New york because of the skyline, it tells me little else. The UK cover on the other had is so edgy, literally, I love the straight lines of her hair and profile and the city in the background, its a clear winner this week.

Ninfa: Okay, I won't even go too much into detail here. This is a UK win hands down. I really don't like the German cover I'm afraid. The colours are a bit too garish and it feels very dated.
I like the contrast between the model on the UK cover and the blurry skyline in the background, and the two colours of the title font really make it stand out, especially the splash of red. I like the model's pensive expression, as if she's really thinking about the things she has done (see what I did there? lol). So yeah, UK wins :)

Which do you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. The German one looks weird and doesn't fit the genre at all (looks like a light summer read)! The UK one looks edgy and futuristic :)
    About the translation: bitter-sweet is more or less correct. 'Zart' can also mean 'tender', 'soft' or 'frail' or something thereabouts. You can use it in quite a lot of different ways/contexts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely the UK cover, love it :) Thanks for posting, enjoyed your comments on these two covers!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...