8 May 2012

Try it Tuesday (9)

'Try it Tuesday' is a weekly meme hosted here at Bookaholics where each week me and Ninfa take turns to recommend a book we think you should try and why.

This week’s pick is

Percy Jackson and The Olypians book one.

Percy Jackson just discovered he is the half-mortal son of Poseidon, and he's wanted dead. Fighting to discover his true purpose in life, and to stay alive, Percy meets many obstacles, but also gains some friends. It all ends in a one-on-one match with Hades, god of the Underworld. Will Percy live to tell about it?

Why I’m choosing this book
As much as I love Harry Potter, after the fifth time reading it I wanted to find a similar series to get stuck into, so with the movie about to be released at the time I decided to try Percy Jackson and optimistically bought all five books in the series. I was so glad that I did because I really enjoyed them and the read the series back to back. The only way it's like Harry Potter is that it's aimed at the same age group and it follows a young boy.
It sparked a love of mythology in me that had me hitting the library for books about Greek mythology and eating up all the wonderful stories which eventually led me to reading The Odysey by Homer which I loved! I'm yet to read The Iliad but I will.

Five reasons I love this book
1. The use and wealth of Greek mythology is all woven together brilliantly.
2. Great humour that can keep adults giggling as well as younger readers.
3. Wonderful characters including a strong lead that young boys can look up to.
4. A wonderful, imaginative world.
5. It's full of action from start to finish.

Who I think will love this book
Definitely one for fans of Harry Potter and, though I haven't read them, I think fans of the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz and H.I.V.E by Mark Walden would enjoy it. Though it's aimed at young boys I think people of all ages and genders would like it, and the rest of the series of course :p

I hope this inspires you to pick up the book, and if you do
Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I'll definately read this series, a few friends of mine said that it was awesome! Thanks for kicking me in the butt to remind me to read this series!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...