13 Feb 2012

Someone else's life - Review

Someone else's life by Katie Dale
Available now.

What's it about?
When seventeen-year-old Rosie’s mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington’s Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty-per-cent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when she tells her mum’s best friend, ‘Aunt Sarah’ that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie was not her biological mother after all... Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, hitching along on her ex-boyfriend’s GAP year to follow her to Los Angeles. But all does not go to plan, and as Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply-buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonising decision of her own - one which will be the most heart-breaking and far-reaching of all...
My review
I'll admit it, I was attracted to this book because of that gorgeous cover! It just looked like something I would enjoy so I didn't even read what it was about, I just picked it up when I saw it instore. Ok, so I know that's not the best method for choosing books and it's backfired on me in the past but luckily this wasn't one of those times.
I hadn't meant to start the book right away but I needed something to do on the bus journey home so I read a few pages then went back to it at home when I'd finished my current read and I'm so glad I did, it was hard to put down!
I was hooked straight into Rosie's world full of spilling secrets and revelations, the book was full of surprising twists that made it so hard to put down I finished this almost 500 page book in two days, which is quick for me!
I really liked how it switched off between characters so I knew what each party was feeling and I think I fell a little bit in love with Rosie's boyfriend Andy.
I also learnt a lot reading this book, before picking it up I knew nothing about Huntington's disease except for the name and this book is full of facts without it feeling like a science lesson so I was also left enlightened when I was done.
More than once I had to hold back the tears throughout this rocky, sometimes heartbreaking adventure and  I was anxious to see the outcome, I was really happy with the way that it ended though.
I can't wait to see what the author comes up with next after reading this beautiful book.

My thoughts on the cover
Well I've already said I think it's gorgeous, even though there's a lot going on it doesn't feel to busy for me, I love the quirky picture of the girl sitting on a chest of drawers and the scribble over the top of the image to make it lighter, the contrasts of the blue and red are also really pretty.

Sorry, I don't have any favourite quotes, I wasn't planning to review this book since it was a personal read so I didn't take any notes but I loved it so much I just had to share it.

Find the author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...