9 Oct 2011

Guest post - John Corwin

Descent Into Paranormality
Hi! I'm John Corwin. I'm a bookaholic and a writeraholic.

It all started when I was little. I found a little red sticker lying around the house and stuck it on my forehead. I told my sisters I was the alien clone of their brother and they foolishly believed me after I repeated the words "socka-socka" several times in a row and convinced them it was an alien language.

By elementary school, I was the kid who borrowed everyone else's library books and read them when I should have been paying attention in class.

My grandmother, a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book club member, gave me tons of books to read every year. She was the one who graduated me from picture books to big-boy books. Now I can totally read books that have ZERO pictures in them. Not counting the covers.

In sixth grade, our English teacher gave us a fill-in-the-blanks writing assignment. I ended up writing about a young boy named Fargo McGronsky whose dog, Noodles, was injured by a car. Fargo went on a vengeance-fueled rampage. My classmates loved it. My English teacher almost passed out.

I hit a point where writing wasn't enough for me. I'd finish a series and suffer withdrawal symptoms. My mom assured me that with my twisted sense of reality and my ability to convincingly lie time and time again I could probably write a book.

"Sweet!" I said. "So you're telling me it's okay to lie?"
She sighed. "I'm just hoping that it'll take you so much time to write a book that you won't have time for getting into trouble."

I think we can all see how that turned out!

*ahem*

I've written several novels, from Sci-Fi, to thrillers, to fantasy, but my favorite genre to write in is paranormal because there's so much material to work with, especially if you enjoy making things up as much as I do.

I came up with some really cool supernatural creatures. How about people with fangs who suck blood? It took me a while but I decided to call them "vampires". Then I thought, what if there were people who could turn into animals? Wolves would be really super groovy to shape-shift into. With that note of inspiration I invented "werewolves". Pretty cool, huh? I haven't written any books with those creatures in them yet, but don't worry, soon you'll be able to read books with "vampires" and "werewolves" and brag to your friends about it.

My latest novel, The Next Thing I Knew, starts with the extinction of the human race. Lucy, an ambitious teenager, decides not to take death lying down and puts her ghostly powers to good use. She means to discover who killed everyone and why anyone would do such a mean thing. What she discovers changes everything. And if she can't find a way to use her new powers, humanity may be extinct for good.

Thanks so much to Mist for letting me contribute to her blog, and thank you to everyone for stopping by!
 

The next thing I knew
When Lucy Morgan drops dead along with everyone else on Earth she refuses to take death lying down even if, technically, her corpse is.

She drags her ghostly social life back from the grave and enlists her friends to figure out the rules of the afterlife. More importantly, they want to discover who or what killed everyone and why the heck anyone would do such a mean thing.

But what they discover changes everything. And if they can't figure out how to put their newfound ghostly powers to work, humanity will be extinct for good.

___________________________________________
A huge thanks to John for this hilarious post!
Look out for my review of 'The next thing I knew' in the meantime here's some places you can find John

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me and my mildly insane musings about my journey through life, Mist!

    -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't normally read through all the author interviews and guest posts *shame* but I'm glad I read through this one - I laughed out loud at each little anecdote.

    Thanks for posting this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colleen, I'm glad you chose this one to be the one your read then! I also thought it wad really funny to :)

    And your welcome John, glad to have you :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...