31 Aug 2011

Blood bound review

Blood bound by Rachel Vincent
Releases 1st September

What's it about?
By blood, by word, by magic...

Most can't touch the power. But Liv Warren is special – a paranormal tracker who follows the scent of blood.
Liv makes her own rules, and the most important one is trust no one.
But when her friend's daughter goes missing, Liv has no choice but to find the girl. Thanks to a childhood oath, Liv can't rest until the child is home safe. But that means trusting Cam Caballero, the former lover forbidden to her.
Bound by oath and lost in desire for a man she cannot have, Liv is racing to save the child from a dark criminal underworld where secrets, lies, trauma and danger lurk around every corner...every touch...every kiss.
And more blood will be spilled before it's over...
My review:
4/5
I've been eagerly anticipating this book for a while and wasn't disappointed, this is a definite must for fans of Vincent's other books particularly her adult Shifters series. Rachel has an excellent way of taking something we haven't seen before or often and making it her own with a fabulous book.
In blood bound there is a similarity at the start to Stray when our protags ex boyfriend shows up and they end up working together but that's where it stops, the story soon takes on a life of it's own full of mystery. I was trying to work out the mystery myself all the way through and felt like I was part of the investigative team as subtle hints were dropped throughout, I really felt like I was figuring it out alongside the characters. There are a lot of twists and turns and some great action scenes.
The story was woven together really well and the world building was excellent, I could really imagine the dark city setting and scary rivalry between the two crime lords.
I liked the characters a lot to, Liv is strong and puts people she cares about before herself, she believes in her ideals and wants to be her own person and will push against anyone who try's to take away her choices even when she knows it will get her in trouble... Oh and you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of her.
Unlike Rachel's other books this one is told from two povs, Livs and Cams, I liked Cam a lot to, he's devoted and fiercely loyal and will do anything for Liv.
All in all I thought this was a really excellent gritty urban fantasy, great for people who are already fans of the author and people who are new to her. It doesn't so much end on a cliffhanger but rather more of a clue to what happens next and I can't wait for shadow bound for more of Liv and Cam.
My thoughts on the cover:
I really like this cover, I prefer it to the US one actually. It definitely carries the dark tone of the story, and I like the orange glow from the sunset (rise?)
Favourite quotes:
"I realized that I'd rather die with you than live with someone else." - Liv

"Assassination is murder. Execution is justice." - Liv

2 comments:

  1. have not had a chance to check out this author yet, but have seen many good reviews of her books. will have to check out some of them.
    This book looks great and will have to find at barnes & noble.
    christinebails@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got this book and I cannot wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...