7 Jul 2011

The Keepers review


The keepers by Monique O'Connor James.

What's it about?
Jess denies God. In his infinite wisdom, he’s taken everyone she’s ever loved. Moving to the French Quarter was a ploy to erase the guilt she felt for rebuking her faith. Perhaps, if she hadn’t met Justin, an angel preoccupied with getting back into God’s good graces, and drowning in his hatred for humanity, her plan would have worked.

Justin’s general disdain for the human race makes him difficult to like, but some higher power has appointed him her keeper. Justin’s convinced he can mend her broken relationship with her maker, but in the process he learns a thing or two about his own humanity.
Never mind, falling in love, that’s not supposed to happen. In fact, it may even be forbidden. Jess just wants Justin to understand her plight, and he wants to protect her from a world she doesn’t know.
If neither is equipped to save the other, then whose soul lives and whose will perish?

My review:
5/5
This book really starts out with a dark, sombre tone, that for me stayed for throughout the book. But not in a depressing way lol more of a suck-you-in way! I loved it! It's dark, passionate and emotional.
I admit at first, I was a bit worried about reading the book because I knew there was some religion in it, whilst I of course have nothing against religion, it's just not for me for reading material, but the book doesn't feel 'preechy' at all, it's more about Jess, her loss of faith and her struggle to find it whilst ironically falling for an angel - a hot, brooding angel by the way.
I really enjoyed the romance between Jess and Justin, it wasn't your typical fall-in-love-after-five-minutes romance, but had a very believable love-hate start that developed into love, it was heated and passionate and I felt the characters challenged each other constantly. Justin was a very interesting, complex character, the only part that I felt didn't make sense was something Jess discovers about his past, but I can't say because that of course would be a spoiler.
Though would've preferred a little more action this book was great, the story was interesting and different and it's beautifully written. The ending defintitely left me wanting more and I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!

To find out more you can visit Moniques website   
               
                                      
Pre order a hard copy here.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...